NÉDA ORDYM - Culture Tourism Project of the Indigenous Peoples of the North 2010 – 2013
• In addition to the Finnish Sámi Area, the project is implemented in two regions in the Russian Federation: NÉDA part of the project is carried out in the Nenets Autonomous Okrug whereas ORDYM part of the project takes place in the Komi Republic in Russia. Both néda in Nenets and ordym in Komi mean path or route migrated by reindeer.
• The project will create, develop and market culture and package tour services on ethnically, ethically and ecologically sustainable basis from the regions’ indigenous peoples’ own perspective and starting points by means of networking, product development and training
• The project’s main objective is to enhance the appeal of the Sámi, Nenets and Komi regions, consolidate their identity and expand local investment opportunities. The concrete objective is to develop culture and tourism products that have arisen from the needs of local indigenous people and to educate entrepreneurs and trainees as well as administrative personnel involved in tourism.
• Main activities in 2010 – 2013 include
- tourism training in the Sámi Region, Nenets Autonomous Okrug and Komi Republic – both parts of the project include ten different study units
- developing and testing of tourism products
- cultural cooperation
- cross-border specialists exchange
- tourism product marketing with the aid of social media, TV and film production
- tour operator visits to the target areas
- business and investment plans for tourism on the basis of regional traditions
• The Sámi Education Institute in Inari, Finland is serving as the Lead Partner in the project.
• NÉDA part of the project is funded by the EU’s Kolarctic ENPI CBC – programme whereas ORDYM part of the project is financed by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland out of the funds allocated for neighbouring area cooperation. In addition, there is local contribution in both parts of the project. The NÉDA ORDYM’s overall budget is about 1 000 000 €.